Surprisingly, I am not currently tired, even after standing in the rain for 2 loooong hours today. But that’s another story.
I started listening to Mayday Parade (oh yeah. I went there. I still love them. My inner emo kid is alive and well.) and perusing the internet, because I hate laying in bed just willing yourself to go the hell to sleep. I started reading random posts online and one was about life lessons. Well, hey, I’m living life. I can’t sleep. I like force feeding people my thoughts. I can write a post about that. Easy.
Let me just say ahead of time, do as I say, not as I do. Many of these “lessons” are a work in progress. I’m learning here, too.
1. Get rid of all the toxic bullshit in your life. If it no longer serves you, makes you happy, or makes you a better person, let it go. You will have much more room for the good in your life.
2. Don’t let heartbreak make you cold. Getting hurt is awful. But allowing it to shut you away from love is worse. Build a fence around your heart, not a fortress.
3. Second chances are earned, not given. Give them to people sparingly.
4. Go with your gut. I have to listen to mine on a daily basis in my career field. I’ve learned to listen to it. If I get a bad feeling about someone or a situation in my personal life, I don’t go through with it. Your instincts are usually spot on.
5. You don’t have to have a good reason, you can just say no. People who love you will not press you for follow up.
6. Make a budget and stick to it. Do you really need that totally ridiculous thing that you’ll forget about 2 days from now? If you budget your money, you can afford something kickass and timeless down the line.
7. Spend time alone with yourself. Get to know who you are. Me time is chicken soup for the soul. I do not trust anyone who tells me they are constantly “bored” when they’re alone. Learn to like yourself.
8. Be kind to yourself. You’ll encounter negativity regularly from the outside world. Be easy on yourself.
9. Exercise is the best form of therapy. I’ve learned to cope with anxiety, anger, and sadness that way. Cheapest form of self-help there is.
10. Don’t date your coworkers. I’ve made this mistake in my professional, grown up life. Luckily, he works 2 hours away. Even luckier, I can laugh about it, because I get teased on a daily basis about it. Which leads me to…
11. Learn to laugh at yourself. It’s the best way to get through a mistake. Or, ya know, dating someone who can easily be made fun of.
12. When someone tells you something about themselves, believe them. You can’t change that. I once had someone tell me that whenever they get in trouble, they find themselves lying to get out of it. Uh, hello. Red, giant warning flag!
13. Speak up for what you want. Women of the world, this doesn’t make you a bitch! If you want a raise, respect, some help with the damn dishes, TELL THE APPROPRIATE PERSON! People can’t read minds. You have to tell em!
14. They way people treat you has everything to do with them. You can demand respect all day long, but some people just aren’t going to step up and be good humans. This is their character flaw, not yours. Handle it with grace, and move on.
15. Classics in your closet are a damn good idea. Nude heels, black pumps, an LBD, something that makes you feel wildly sexy. Whatever that is, have it around when you need it.
16. Find something you’re passionate about. It doesn’t matter what that may be. People are their most beautiful when talking about something their passionate about. Find your niche.
17. Floss your teeth. Trust me. I could have saved my mouth a lot of pain if I would’ve started when I was told to.
18. Be able to cook at least one delicious meal. I can hardly follow a recipe, but I have a few tried and true winners. It’s nice to have a plan in case I need it.
19. Living at home with your parents is nothing to be ashamed of. Uh hello? This is my life right now. I’m saving a ton of money. And I’m so not sorry about it.
20. Change your mind, then change it again. Then go back to your first decision. You’re young. Don’t pressure yourself to make the perfect decision the first time, every time.
21. Stick with one type of beverage when you go out drinkin’. Yeah. I’m still learning this. My hangovers are a good reminder to stick to it.
22. Social media is dangerous. Be careful what you post. Bitching about work, pictures of you doing body shots, bullying…just say no. Corporate HBIC you will thank 20-something you later.
23. You are responsible for your own happiness. Don’t hinge it on a boy, a friend, a job, today’s weather. Those things change. Finding happiness within yourself (I know, totally touchy-feely) will allow you to maintain it through the highs and lows.
24. It’s okay to be a little bit of a hot mess. You’re learning. You’re not perfect. Yes, you had 4 margaritas on a Thursday, and your head hurts, and you told your ex you miss him. But fuck it. If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you’re doing pretty damn good.